Tuesday, July 08, 2003

"A POSITIVE FORCE FOR IRAQ"
If the latest attacks are designed to destroy the fragile trust between Iraqis and those who have come to help them, interviews with about a dozen Iraqis who work with Americans show that the tactic is not working. They say people harass them, accuse them of treason and send them death threats. But although they acknowledge the risk, none said they would quit.

"It will never stop me because I trust myself and I trust God. I want to help my country to make a new life, to get human rights, and also to get modern life, especially because we are a rich country," Mohyialdeen said. "Whenever I go out on patrol, I start praying."

Most of these workers said they would not stop working because they view the Americans as a positive force for Iraq. But there are corollary reasons as well, such as the fact that coalition forces provide the bulk of jobs in a country where jobs are scarce.

Read this rare bit of hopeful press here.

No comments: