Friday, January 16, 2004

NOT ONE WORLD
STREET BOYS: They speak no English yet I have no trouble communicating with the future generation of Iraq citizens. These are the boys of downtown Baghdad. They are poorly clothed, look malnourished yet cavort and cheer and play like all 8, 9, and 10 year olds.

I feel sorry for these youths. Some don't have mothers or fathers. All live in run down homes. I want to reach out and take them all back with me to Verona. I want them to have good schools. I wish for them to have a good meal. I'd like to take them to the GAP or the mall and buy them new clothes.

I'd like for some of them to see a doctor for the first time in their life. I wish they had dentists. I want them to go sledding in my back yard. I see the excitement in their eyes that I saw in my twin boys Brian and Matthew when they young. It's hard being reporter here.

I want to climb out of my role, my mission and be a humanitarian and put them all on a big jet to the USA. I'll admit. I cried in this street today. The tears I left behind were not only mine....but I sensed some falling from all of YOU who will see these pictures. I know you share in my feelings. We all want their lives to be as nice as ours. Hug YOUR children tonight. Feel the warmth of these boys. They are reaching out for us.

I took these pictures today. I share them and my thoughts with you. It is what the Soldiers of the 32MP unit feeling daily as they patrol and rebuild this city and nation.

-John Karcher, News 3

No comments: