Sunday, October 19, 2003

"FIRE IN THE HOLE"

Heckuva wedding present.
Master Sergeant Edward Smith from Montdale is an explosives expert with the U.S. Air Force. He's been stationed just south of Baghdad since July. But Saturday night, at the wedding celebration of his brother William, Sgt. Smith made a surprise visit.

It was a surprise, months in the making. Sgt. Smith made a video toast. And Air Force officials had to carry the video from the groom's brother to Baghdad, and then Fox News transmitted it to WNEP.

In the video, Bill Smith says from the desert, "Everybody raise your glasses, and I'll raise my cigar and my non-alcoholic Gatorade...A life of years free of tears, good luck, bottoms up, and fire in the hole." With that, a staged explosive went off in the background.

The groom was visibly touched. William tells Newswatch 16, "I wish he was here...and I can't explain how good it felt to see him the day I got married."

No comments: