Friday, March 19, 2004

MY SECOND FAVORITE MOMENT FROM THE PRESIDENT'S SPEECH

He mentions an Army Cook...my favorite Soldiers.
(A)nd in our military, they're seeing the good heart of America.

They see people like PFC Amanda Thompson Cummings, who volunteered to serve in Iraq. She's an Army cook who also works on security patrol.

She said this to a reporter: "They know I can shoot. I'm one of the best in my battalion. But, hey, I'm a redneck, what do you expect?" (Laughter and applause.)

Those are her words, not mine. (Laughter.)

This soldier also describes how the children of Iraq look at her, especially the young girls. As Amanda puts it, "When those girls look at a female soldier, they think, maybe I can be something, too."

PFC Cummings says, "We made a difference in their lives. And their faces, when they look at us, that made it all worthwhile right there."

No comments: