Monday, March 15, 2004

A BUMPY REUNION

We all have dreams of what it will be like...but the classes I've attended - called "reunion training" says things like this may be common.

An excellent piece...go read it all.
Some of the changes in her husband trouble her. On a drive to Denver, he became unglued by the snarled traffic on Interstate 25.

"He told me, in Iraq, if people got in your way, you just drove over them. He has zero patience."

And lately, he is defined by a hyper-patriotism that borders on defiance.

"He used to be all about family," she says. "Now it's all about the Army."

Breck Howard says her marriage, now in its eighth year, has weathered difficult times before.

"We knew this would happen. I know we'll get through this. It's just a question of how long it will take."

For most of the past year, it seemed almost certain Howard would not re-enlist when his tour of duty was up in 2005. But in January, just weeks before his return, he signed on for six more years.

He says he did it for the $10,000 bonus he'll receive. The money will go toward the day-care business his wife wants to open.

Little Taylor cried when she found out. "I don't want him to go away again."

But Howard says he made the right choice for himself and his family. "I don't think I'll ever find a job that is more satisfying or makes me more proud."

No comments: