Friday, August 22, 2003

SYNCHRONICITY

From a regular reader of CPT Patti's website, the mother of a soldier in Baghdad, comes this remarkable tale.

It involves an amazing series of coincidences including her phoning her daughter-in-law, daughter-in-law being logged into Yahoo messenger service (which lets "buddies" know you are on line), son/husband soldier logging into Yahoo at the same time (from Baghdad) and some trickery with a digital camera, a cell phone and a house phone I just can't describe.

But, let's let her tell it.
Hi Tim,

I just wanted to share some news with you.

Yesterday was my birthday and today is Ryan's 25th birthday. For the last 2 weeks I had been expecting Ryan to call me sometime between mine and his birthday, but with the UN bombing I figured that it wouldn't happen because he
would more than likely be very busy, so my daughter-n-law and I spent a long time on the phone talking.

Her mother bought her a web cam so they could see each other over the internet through the yahoo messenger service.

Amanda was online and Ryan happened to go to the internet cafe and saw that Amanda was on line and they began to chat all the while Ryan getting to see Amanda, but Amanda not seeing Ryan.

My father had bought Ryan a cheap digital camera to take pictures with and he happened to have it with him. This camera had other features on it other than taking pictures. Ryan hooked it up to the computer and out of the blue there
he was. Amanda said when he moved the picture was blurry.

As she was telling me all this I was thinking, is he allowed to do this? will he get in trouble for this?

Her cell phone rang and I heard her say, " I'm talking to your Mom" She put the phones together and Ryan and I spoke for about 4 minutes...I tell you I cried like a baby when I heard his voice. I was already on cloud nine because I had received an email that morning and it was a picture of Ryan sitting on his cot at base camp. I haven't seen his face in
almost 14 months so hearing him along with getting the picture was the best gift ever.

I am going out to get me a web cam and see if he and I can lay eyes on each other when he get some down time off.

Tim, you need to get CPT Patti a web cam so ya'll can talk and see each other at the same time.....

Do you think this is cool with the Army?

Have a great day......

Yes, I think this is cool with the Army...but more than that, I just think it is COOL!

No comments: