Thursday, December 11, 2003

DUMBSTRUCK!

Pardon me for bringing up a personal matter...I don't usually get this hot under the collar, but I am fuming at this.

Thor Industries Inc., enjoying big demand for its Airstream and assorted brands of recreational vehicles, split its shares 2 for 1 Wednesday and doubled the cash dividend.

Following the split, the current quarterly dividend of 3 cents a share will be continued, doubling the payout to shareholders....

"This is the third dividend increase in the last six months," Thompson said.

Now to my complaint.

You want to know how much of that I get? None.

Those SOBs had the unmitigated gall to leave me out of this deal. I get nothing...nada...nichts...zilch...zero.

All these other people are fattening their portfolios and getting cash at Christmas time...but I'm not.

I am dumbstruck!

I called Thor Industries to find out why I had been overlooked. The customer service department took my information and a VP for Financial Services called me back.

"Sir," he said, "Tell me how many shares of Thor stock you own".

"None", I replied.

He was silent for a moment...and then said "Oh, I think I see the problem. Sir, are you aware that you actually have to be a stockholder to benefit from this stock split and dividend?"

"A stockholder???? What...you mean I have to risk my money in the stock market in order to cash in on this deal? No way, man...I don't even like your silly aluminum trailers...I'm not risking my assets - you guys might go broke or out of business or something."

Absurd...right?

Then somebody take a minute please and tell how that is materially any different than this.


Across Europe, response was swift and angry Wednesday to the U.S. order barring firms based in important allied countries -- opponents of the Iraq war -- from bidding on Iraqi reconstruction projects.

Germany, another leading opponent of the war, called the decision ''unacceptable,'' and government spokesman Bela Anda said it went against ''a spirit of looking to the future together and not to the past...

Perhaps Germany should have tried looking a little harder into the future about 8 months ago...

Canada's deputy prime minister, John Manley, said the decision would make it ''difficult for us to give further money for the reconstruction of Iraq.'' Canadian officials said the country has contributed $225 million thus far.

''We noted with astonishment today the reports, and we will be speaking about it with the American side,'' German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer said.

Astonished? Now really Joshcka...you didn't see this coming? I did...so did about a zillion other people...

In Moscow, Deputy Foreign Minister Yuri Fedotov said the directive ''will hardly foster the mobilization of the international community'' to rebuild Iraq, ''more likely the opposite,'' according to the ITAR-Tass news agency.

Good idea, genius. I mean, why should we not expect you to take this out on the Iraqi people...when you wouldn't lift a finger to liberate them?

Let's call it what it is gang...Greed. And sour grapes. And an untenable position.

Some out there are going to whine that this restriction will hurt the Iraqi reconstruction. My question to them will be "How?"

The Iraqis need roads, electricity, sewer and other fundamental infrastructure. If Germany doesn't build the roads...it isn't as if the roads don't get built. They get built by the Brits. The French don't expand the electricity lines...the Australians do.

It all gets done. The money all gets spent (US Taxpayer money by the way...so I don't have any real moral quandry about not giving it to weasels...) And it stays out of the pockets of those nations who risked nothing and indeed attempted to prevent the liberation of the Iraqis.


I had a boss once who had a saying that I really like. If you're going to be a partner...you've got to bring something to the table.

Well the table was set...invitations issued and a whole lotta big countries declined a seat.

Sorry boys...the seats are now reserved for the stockholders.

No comments: