Friday, December 05, 2003

THE DEFINITVE WORD ON THE PRESIDENT'S THANKSGIVING VISIT

This from a Captain who was there and tells you what it meant to the soldiers.

Read it all...and then slap the next person who whines about the so-called "photo op".

Wonder what they have done for the soldiers lately...
Then, from behind the camouflage netting, the President of the United States came around. The mess hall actually erupted with hollering.

Troops bounded to their feet with shocked smiles and just began cheering with all their hearts. The building actually shook. It was just unreal. I was absolutely stunned. Not only for the obvious, but also because I was only two tables away from the podium.

There he stood, less than thirty feet away from me! The cheering went on and on and on. Soldiers were hollering, cheering, and a lot of them were crying. There was not a dry eye at my table.

When he stepped up to the cheering, I could clearly see tears running down his cheeks.

It was the most surreal moment I've had in years. Not since my wedding and Aaron being born.

Here was this man, our President, came all the way around the world, spending 17 hours on an airplane and landing in the most dangerous airport in the world, where a plane was shot out of the sky not six days before. Just to spend two hours with his troops. Only to get on a plane and spend another 17 hours flying back. It was a great moment, and I will never forget it.

No comments: