Thursday, September 04, 2003

PERSPECTIVE
Peace always comes at a price. Some World War II veterans recently reminded me of that. One, who was in charge of rebuilding Germany recounted how many of his buddies were killed long after the war.

Americans didn't question the value of what we were doing then. We shouldn't grow impatient with what we're doing now. I guess it's far easier to write damning stories about all that's going wrong, than for one solitary moment, to consider all that is going right.

I didn't say that. The greatest generation taught me that. And their children and grandchildren fighting in Iraq show me that.

I'm not fit to judge them, but I am fit to thank them. And let them know their work is good, their progress is real and their mission is right.

Take a minute and read this entire piece.

No comments: