Tuesday, August 26, 2003

ON THE JOB
While many Iraqi women are hoping for a way to improve life in Baghdad, one found it. Ask 28-year-old Baghdad mother and resident Zahra Hadi about how her life has changed and she'll tell you about her new job.

She is the first female to wear the uniform of an Iraqi corrections guard -- the only female to wear any kind of police uniform.

Hadi completed a one-week corrections course at the Iraqi Public Service Academy, Aug. 14 and entered two weeks of on the job training with 33 other graduates.

"Not even Baghdad's police department has a female working with them, so this is a bit of history in the making," said Gary De Land, senior adviser to the Iraqi Corrections Service.

The training classes were held by Iraq's Coalition Provisional Authority Department of Prisons. Instructors from the 800th Military Police Brigade provided guidance in the training and curriculum, and assisted in the selection process.

Hadi was a mother and housekeeper living in Baghdad. Her day consisted of house cleaning, caring for her 7-month-old son and preparing meals for her husband. She used to work part time selling tropical fish and setting flower arrangements for weddings.

But when the Department of Prisons ran an ad looking for new prison guards, Hadi knew it was time for her dream of equality to come true.

"I've wanted to do this all my life. I always wanted equality with men. I like competing in a man's world," said Hani. "I think I'm just as smart, and I can do most of those things men can do."

And now, she said smiling, "I can work as a corrections guard, and I know I will practice what I learned on how to be a professional and be treated with respect."

No comments: