Monday, November 17, 2003

AMERICAN IDOL, CPT PATTI AND A WHOLE BUNCH OF CHRISTMAS CHEER

I'll confess up front that I don't understand everything I know about this story.

I've never watched American Idol...which apparently puts me in a disctinct minority.

But I'm told this fella, Clay Aiken sang really well and came in runner up. I'm sensing this caused a bit of a controversy since there are other web sites out there with names like "claydeservedtowin.com" and such.

OK - suffice it to say that this guy has a remarkable fan base...and they seem to be in contact with one another (the fans) via the internet.

And if I understand the story correctly they've decided it is their mission to ensure that Clay has the biggest selling debut record ever. And they will do whatever it takes.

Enter "Betty". I don't know Betty's real name, I just know her as the mother in law of one of CPT Patti's Soldiers. Betty - who happens to live not far from us in Germany - is a huge fan of Clay...and apparently recently flew back to the States to attend 3 of his concerts in 3 different cities. (Can you say "stalker"?)

Betty was engaged with her online Clay fans when she jumped into the discussion about how they could elevate his record sales. Betty mentioned CPT Patti and the Gators in Baghdad and suggested that the die hard fans could help out both Clay and some US Soldiers by purchasing CDs to give to the Soldiers.

Well, apparently Clay appeals to a rather patriotic brand of American because the combination of spiking his sales and giving to soldiers just sent them into spasms.

Betty's daughter tells me that to date we have received over 90 copies of Clay's CD (CPT Patti has about 60 soldiers at the moment...) But it doesn't stop there...the "Clayniacs" wanted to know what else the soldiers need. And they have begun to give and to send and to give and to send.

We've received well over thirty seperate mailings from Clay fans so far. Last Friday when Betty's daughter went to the mail room to pick up her mail the mail room staff told her to come back when she had borrowed a truck!

Games, dartboards, snacks, socks, candy, cards and well wishes. You name it - and Clay's fans have sent it to us - and we are sending it forward to CPT Patti and all the Gator Soldiers. And in huge quantities (apparently a lot of Clay's fans shop at Sam's club...)

Well, Clay - I'm sorry I never watched the show...and thus I can't comment on whether you deserved to win or not.

But your fans certainly are a bunch of winners. And so are the Gator soldiers, thanks to the fanaticism and generosity of your fans.

And it isn't just the Clay fans...it is the class of second graders in Des Moines who are making Christmas stockings for CPT Patti's Soldiers. It is the Boy Scouts in North Carolina who are putting together goody boxes for the Gators...and the Attorney's firm in Omaha that sent gifts for Veteran's Day and are now gearing up for Christmas...and it is the fact that nearly 2000 of you have clicked into his web site to check on CPT Will's progress since he was wounded in Baghdad.

I am touched by this complete outpouring of support and giving by the American people. I have a dual perspective on this, as an old soldier myself, and the waiting husband whose wife is in Iraq. Please know how much this all means.

God bless you all...

No comments: