Monday, September 15, 2003

ONE REPORTER SEES CORRUPTION ALL AROUND

Among his colleagues, as well as the Iraqi Information Ministry.
When I got back to my hotel room I got another call from New York saying it's been put off twenty-four hours because of weather. It was after my second meeting with Al-Tayyib that they raided my room.

He shouted at me. He said, "We know you're a CIA agent because they attacked the ministry."

I said, "You lying son of a bitch. I told you that because I come from a newspaper and a country who cares about people.

We were told this on the basis of human decency. Not just for ourselves but also for Iraqis. They didn't want to kill innocent Iraqis. You failed to do anything at all about it."

I went there two nights running to get people out. As a result, there was only one person injured, a secretary to the minister, which is pretty amazing considering they hit the building with seven or eight cruise missiles.

I said, "You're a son of a bitch. You know exactly what the truth of this was. I told you as a matter of decency and you did nothing at all. Now you invert this to say I'm a CIA agent."

The end of the story was that on the night of April 8, he stole $200,000.

No comments: