Thursday, October 23, 2003

"WE DO NOT FIGHT WARS WITH DEMOCRACIES"

Senator Burns of Montana writes to his constituents. I never thought of it in those terms...but he's right.

So I'm awarding the Senator the "Good Point of the Day" award.

I was fortunate to be able to speak to many of our troops, and I can honestly say I've never seen men and women in service who so clearly understand the gravity and difficulty of their mission, yet remain so positive about the benefits and the eventual outcome. Despite some media reports, the morale of the members of our armed forces is sky high. I'm so proud of every one of them and I pray and worry for them every single day...

I asked a mother in Baghdad what the biggest difference was to her between Hussein's rule and today. She said, "My daughter is in school." That touched me. More than 3,000 schools are operating, and boys and girls are learning their basics in an equal setting with well-equipped schools and prepared teachers...

The taste of freedom is sweet, and it is worthwhile for America to invest in it because we do not fight wars with democracies.





No comments: