Tuesday, November 25, 2003

ANOTHER SOLDIER SHARES THE TRUTH
"While I was home on emergency leave, I was again upset at the footage I saw on our TV, in that the people back home don't get the whole picture of what it is like here in Iraq," he wrote.

"I had no idea the fear that most Iraqis had lived in before we arrived here. You can't see that on TV. Or the most scenic views with waterfalls and riverside cafes, you don't see that on TV. The tight family groups that want to reach out and tell you they are Christian and (want) not to have to be so afraid, you don't see that on TV. Some of the translators we hired were the best examples of that, especially when I was able to sit down and talk to them about things they have been through," said Bongard.

"Some people back home may think it is about oil or weapons of mass destruction or simply that we shouldn't have gotten involved," he said.

"I can tell you that after four days of being in a neighborhood and seeing the way some Iraqis live, none of that really matters and I have been grateful to be helping them. Little things we take for granted, such as sewage systems right in the street. Kids not going to school because they are one of eight or nine children and they have to work. Most families live off of 20 to 30 American dollars a month," Bongard said.

"It was very interesting to see soldiers from all different backgrounds try to help grow these cities and conduct different aspects of business. I've seen artillery, infantry, armored cavalry officers running different committees on city funding, budgeting, marketing and banking," he said.

"I've seen non-commissioned officers who are computer programmers and firefighters back home run banking and commerce groups. I've seen college students run education groups and power workers get transportation companies off the ground. The list goes on. It has been a great effort to make this place a wonderful country," added Bongard.

No comments: