Thursday, August 21, 2003

SIMPLE GOODNESS

I work in the Army Community Service (ACS) office. For those among the readers who are not familiar with the ACS we offer services to soldiers and family members to help smooth out big events like moving from the US to Germany and otherwise serve as a source of information or referral to other needed services.

It also is not the least bit unusual that when folks don't know what to do about a situation, they come to us.

This morning the military police entered our office with a 60-something year old man. They didn't know where else to take him.

"Helmut" speaks very little English, but was able to get his point across.

He wants to help.

Helmut carried with him a handwritten letter and 50 Euros (about $56).

The letter - with which Helmut had received assistance from another German in translating is touching.

Excerpts from Helmut's letter are below. (I have edited the excerpts to correct the letter for grammar to make it more readable to American readers.)


Hello dear soldier,

I am unknown to you but I want to send to you a package and to wish you happiness.

I was born in Berlin in 1942 and I lived through the Russian blockade in 1948. I could see nearby the planes of the Amercan forces landing at the air base at Berlin-Tempelhof. They brought food and all manner of things to support the lives of 2 million people in Berlin for a year. Some of that was for me.

That was a long time ago, but I'll never forget that help.

The American soldiers stood in Berlin and in West Germany...stood for our freedom and for peace. And some of that was for me.

My heart is thankful to the American nation and its soldiers...

And now I have a chance to help and to say "thank you!" as you are so far from home to keep freedom and peace in another country.

I hope you are pleased with this little package - I'm happy to be give something back.

With friendly greetings,

Helmut

We turned the money and letter over to a family readiness group. They will put together packages for a soldier or two in Baghdad.

But you got to share in the letter.

No comments: