Tuesday, July 22, 2003

A REPORTER CRITIQUES THE MEDIA.

After seeing it first hand...has some insight into how we should view the so-called reports that you hear/see in the popular media.
The plans for a fourth night out accompanying Hawk troop were canceled at the last minute due to a lack of seats in the Humvees. I was disappointed because it was my last night in Baghdad, but I was also somewhat relieved because it gave me time to finish putting this and other stories together before heading for home.

Later that night as I sat typing, the Iraqis were kind enough to bring their attacks to my doorstep. Almost at exactly midnight three dull but distinct bursts interrupted the quiet of the brigade compound. The muffled explosions were followed by the equally distinct sound of 50 caliber machine gun fire. Within seconds half dressed soldiers slinging M-16 scrambled around the compound. The culprits fled into the night having missed their target.

None of what happened on any of the four nights was reported at the time by the media, in part because no soldiers were hurt or killed and because the small numbers of journalists in Baghdad were probably safely tucked away in downtown hotels.

The events of the four nights were routine for Army soldiers in Baghdad. The events paint a better, more accurate picture of what life and possibly death can be like for soldiers in Iraq.

I was fortunate to have that opportunity to spend time with those soldiers and I was fortunate to be able to write about their lives and work. Hopefully, the folks back home have a better understanding of what they are enduring when they see the brief media summaries of the latest hostile action against soldiers just doing their jobs.

Do yourself a favor and read it all here.

I've linked to everything I've found by this reporter. Sorry it is over.

No comments: