Thursday, June 12, 2003

IF THIS IS HOW CONFUSED THEY ARE ABOUT SADDAM...imagine their confusion over the USA. And now we are hoping they can change their minds about us as we appear to occupy their country. Sheesh, this stuff is hard.
At the al-Kumeit secondary school in Baghdad, an 11th-grade student, Yaaser Akram, 15, said he was very confused. For 10 years he was taught that Saddam was a brilliant leader who should be idolized by all honest people.

Akram is now surprised to hear so many people saying the exact opposite.

"The name of Saddam had a value among us, but now, I do not love Saddam. I feel I have been deceived. I am shocked to hear about his crimes against our people," Akram said.

Nazaht Salman was al-Kumeit's teacher of patriotism -- a subject that encompassed lessons on how to love Saddam and the Baath Party, how to resist "hostile propaganda" and to report any "enemy activities."

Salman said when classes resumed this month, many students asked her why she had not told them the truth about Saddam's regime before the war.

"Frankly, I was embarrassed but I told them I was forced to conceal the truth in order to protect both them and myself," Salman said. Patriotism class has now been dropped and she now teaches history.

It's all here.

No comments: