Thursday, May 06, 2004

A SCHOOL CUSTODIAN LEAVES FOR IRAQ

Neat story about him and the kids who miss him.
Yesterday, while some of the school's younger children attached yellow ribbons to three pink dogwood trees, four fifth-graders talked about why they missed Mr. Mike and what they write about.

"He told us that the bugs in Iraq are as big as mice," said Dylan Heaton.

"When he was here, he was almost like a landmark, and we miss him because he was so friendly to everyone," said Cody McLaughlin.

"We don't know where he is in Iraq, but it can get to 150 degrees," said Shaquan Washington.

"I sent him a card with an angel and a prayer on it," said Patience Garte. "The prayer said, `May your guardian angel be with you.' I pray for him every Sunday when I go to church."

In a recent note, Oliver wrote the children:

Helloooooo, Bubba and staff,

Thanks for all the letters and thoughts. Thanks for putting (them) together for me. I don't have any bubbas here in the Army, but I still say my prayers. I drive Army cars. I march. They shoot rifles. I'm up every morning at 5 a.m. (and stay up) until 8 p.m.

I'll be back soon,

Mr. Mike

No comments: