Tuesday, April 06, 2004

A CHANCE ENCOUNTER

Something special happend on Monday.

While taking out the recyclables to the collection bins near our apartment, I passed a woman in our stairwell whom I didn't recognize. She was clearly coming from the exercise class being held in the building.

Upon seeing me she asked "Are you Tim?" After I confirmed my identity she gave me her name as if I would recognize it. Seeing that I didn't she said that I would have read some of her emails.

And then it dawned on me...this is a woman I've "known" only through CPT Patti's website and the emails generated by its readers.

I was quick to apologize for my absence the last four days (which she said she had noted!)...explaining that i was feeling a bit poorly on Monday.

After enquiring about the projected dates of return of each's spouse, we were saying our goodbyes.

It was then that the something special happened. On her way out the door this twenty-something woman paused, turned back to me and said "keep up the good work".

"Keep up the good work".

Now she would have no way of knowing until she reads this just how that one remark completely lifted my spirits on what had been for me a rather gloomy day. By her words, my heart soared. It was a spontaneous affirmation...five words on her part but what an awesome effect on me.

And so I am reminded of the power of a kind word.

And I'm given hope that civility isn't actually obsolete.

I won't use her name here...but ma'am...you know who you are. Thanks for touching my spirit with your goodness.

No comments: