Tuesday, December 09, 2003

SOLDIERS SHOPPING FOR CHRISTMAS

There's no Macy's, Wal-Mart or Target to take their cash. But soldiers here are joining in America's holiday shopping season, much of the time via the Internet.

They're shopping at dozens of Internet cafes installed by the Army to help them keep in touch with home. "We just got 20 computers open, and that place is packed," said Capt. Brandon Anderson, commander of B Battery, 2nd Battalion of the 3rd Field Artillery. "If I want to e-mail my wife, I've got to get up at 4 a.m."...

"I'm not allowed to go on eBay anymore. My wife is tired of getting stuff in the mail," said Sgt. Aaron Keltch, a Humvee driver with the V Corps command, which is based in Heidelberg, Germany...

The soldier shopping isn't all online. Delving into Baghdad's bazaars is verboten because of safety concerns. But local merchants, still reeling from years of economic sanctions, are eager to siphon off some American dollars. On many bases, Iraqi shops have been set up to give troops the chance to buy local items without having to don their helmets and flak vests.

Many of the Iraqi gift items are, well, different. "Mink blankets. That's been a big item," said Sgt. First Class Christopher McCann, with a slightly disapproving tone in his voice. There also are watches in the shape of mosques, decorative daggers, prayer rugs, bootleg DVDs and cheap electronics. What has he bought? "Nothing. Not yet," he said. Based on instructions received from his wife, he concluded: "I don't think it's going to be a mink blanket."

I hear that CPT Patti and the Gators have the Iraqi vendors come on to Camp Provider about once a month. But I think I can go all day without owning a watch in the shape of a mosque...

No comments: