Wednesday, October 01, 2003

PHONE CALL

I got a call from CPT Patti last night...unexpected due to the rhythms we've developed over the course of the deployment...it seemed just too soon.

I was delighted nonetheless even though it meant talking to her via cell my cell phone from a parking lot in downtown Giessen, then by the duck pond, then finally, as I walked all the way home. (When she called I was in the midst of my evening walk/jog exercise period.)

First of all she sounds terrific. She said she is generally doing well, with only the occasional minor physical complaints.

We discussed the R&R program, and as predicted here she does not expect to participate.

The latest change in the Quality of Life arena is that just this week the American Forces Network (AFN - its the GI's radio and TV service around the world) sattelite signal decoders were switched on...and, as CPT Patti said, "now we can watch football!" Previously their TV watching was limited to whatever was available on the Iraqi sattelite channels...which apparently included CNN International, various Arab channels, a couple of Italian and one Korean channel. By having the AFN decoders they will now be able to see live sports, receive news from more than just CNN and catch a lot of the popular TV shows that are playing in the states.

I asked CPT Patti her impression of the news coverage by CNN. She said it was, in a word, "awful". "And that is why I don't watch much of it" she went on to day. "They really slant the news toward the bad stuff...and they show only the Iraqis who are angry, and those are in the minority here. I saw this one Iraqi they interviewed and I swear he was being paid by the Fedayeen to say what he did on TV, because they are the only ones talking like that."

I also learned that the uniform restrictions have been slightly eased...if soldiers so desire they can now wear civilian style workout clothes in the gym when off duty.

She went on to say how much she appreciates the support she's getting from friends and family...and sends her love to all.

That's our gal!

No comments: