Thursday, July 24, 2003

HERE'S HOPING THE TROOPS CAN LAUGH ABOUT IT.
...A few poetic lines from the sand have found their way home to Kentucky from one of her sons Capt. Jay Padgett of Frankfort, a National Guard chaplain serving 7,000 miles away at a desert outpost in Kuwait .

Since he was called to active duty in late February, Padgett has performed three weddings, baptized 18 soldiers, conducted scores of devotionals and worship services, counseled, briefed and notified many troops on a myriad of matters, taught a course on Iraq and the Bible and still found time to compose a poem which two of his friends passed along to me: "I Do Not Like This Dust and Sand; An Ode to Camp Virginia, Kuwait, with apologies to Dr. Seuss. "

I do not like this dust and sand
I do not like it on my hands
I do not like dust in my head
I do not like it in my bed
I do not like sand in my hair
I hate it in my underwear
I do not like this dust and sand
I used to like the color tan
I do not like dust on my clothes
I despise it up my nose
I do not like sand in my face
Invading all my private space
I do not like dust in my mouth
I do not like it north or south
I do not like sand east or west
Nowhere is where I like it best
I do not like dust in my ear
It's hard to reach, I cannot hear
When it gets in my drink and food
It affects my attitude
I like it not with ham and eggs
I do not like sand on my legs
I like it not in socks and boots
Nor on my veggies, meats and fruits
This dust and sand floats everywhere
It dances in the desert air
I like a dust storm even less
Because it leaves a gritty mess
I want to leave this sand and dust
But until then in God I trust.



Thanks to co-worker Deb for the tip.

No comments: